Every year, delegates and clergy from our parishes gather to the meeting of Diocesan Synod. This meeting, sometimes referred to as the ‘Annual General Meeting’ of the Diocese, is important because it provides us an opportunity to gather and see the bigger of the mission and ministry of the Diocese.
Synod is an opportunity to learn about and discuss the many ways that we try and act as Christ’s followers in our changing culture and society.
The key elements of our Synod include:
Synod’s functions include, but are not limited to:
Welcome to Diocesan Synod 2019
I thank you for agreeing to be a member of our Diocesan Synod this year. While preparations for this year’s Synod meeting are underway, I am writing to welcome you and to underline the important role that you, a member of Diocesan Synod, play in the life of our Diocese throughout your term.
As I am sure you are aware, Synod will be meeting October 24-26th, 2019. Synod will include highlights from around our Diocese, as well as important speakers and worship.
In the interest of reducing our carbon footprint, we will follow a mostly electronic Synod format. As such, the Synod Circular & Financials will be made available online only. Please visit this page frequently for all updates and materials.
Attached to this email are detailed information about Synod including:
Clergy or Parish Administrators receiving this, please ensure that all of your Synod Delegates have received a copy. Please contact Heidi Danson should any of your delegates have missed the email, as our information for your delegates could be missing or incomplete.
Synod 2019 Registration
Included in your mailing you will find the following documents:
- Parish Registration Form – sent to incumbents only and to be returned by September 20
- Registration form – to be returned by September 20
- Registration – Deacons
- Retired & Other Clergy Registration – For Clergy who are retired, not in a parish, and not Deacons.
- Registration for Special – Others – Officers of Synod, Diocesan Staff, Bishop’s Appointees, Guests of Synod, Postulants, or Members of Diocesan
- Synod Workshops – Workshops are being brought back to Synod! Please let your incumbents know which two workshops to register you for.
- Credential form – to be completed and brought with you to Synod registration at the St. Elias Centre (Please note that because of the Privacy Act, the credential form includes a waiver on its reverse that must be signed by all attending Synod.) – Please contact Heidi Fawcett at firstname.lastname@example.org if you did not receive your credential form and she will email it to you.
- Great Chapters – Fall Great Chapters are meetings where all churchwardens and Synod members of the churches in your deanery gather to share their ministry stories and discuss issues that will be brought forward to Synod for consideration.
You may register online by visiting https://diocesansynod2019.eventbrite.ca. Please note that incumbents will register both clergy and lay members of their parishes by using the parish registration form. Parish lay delegates do not need to register themselves.
Although accommodations are the responsibility of Synod members, once again this year we have set aside a block of rooms for the evenings of October 24th and 25th at the Days Inn Ottawa Airport, which is located at 366 Hunt Club Rd., a short drive from the St. Elias Centre. The group rate per room is $125 plus taxes and fees for a total of $146.90 (single or double occupancy). The group code for this block is CGADO2 and should be quoted when making reservations to ensure that you receive the special rate. The deadline for reservations is September 30th. Reservations can be made directly with the hotel by calling 1-866-468-4442 (or locally at 613-739-7555) or through Central Reservations at 1-800-DAYS INN.
We look forward to seeing you at Synod!
Synod 2019 Supporting Documents
2019 Nominations Package
- Bishop’s covering letter 2019
- Serving as a Member of Diocesan Council 2019
- 2019 Nomination form for Diocesan Council
- 2019 Nomination Form for Termination of Clerical Appointments
- 2019 Nomination Form for Trinity College Corporation
Send to: Heidi Danson
Biographies of Synod 2019 Keynote Speakers
- Canon Susan A. Garvey
Retired Executive Director of Cornerstone Housing for Women
Friday, October 25th, 2019 at 9:35 a.m
- Albert Dumont
Algonquin Spiritual Teacher in Residence at Christ Church Cathedral Ottawa
Spiritual Advisor Algonquin, Kitigan Zibi Anishinabeg
Saturday, October 26th, 2019 at 8:40 a.m.
Friday, October 25, 2019 – Afternoon Workshop Options
The 2019 Synod Agenda will allow time for three workshops, with a view to offering tools to take back to parishes. Those in attendance will have an opportunity to attend two of the three workshops, with the hope being that delegates from the same parish will attend different workshops.
Members of Synod, elected through their Parishes, are entrusted with the task of faithfully discerning, implementing, monitoring, and adjusting the priorities and plans for our shared mission and ministry within the Diocese. Additionally, members serve as an active, contributing member of their respective Parish Councils and provide a vital link between the Diocese and congregations.
Great Chapters are important gatherings of churchwardens and members of Synod that are held by Deanery. The purpose of these gatherings is to help the members of Synod to become more aware of the strategic plans of the Diocese, to orient and give information about the upcoming Synod, and to give congregations the opportunity to share briefly with others in their Deanery how their faith is lived in their community.